Emma Blossay 2 Pokémon: The Movie 2000 – The Power of One

Pokémon: The Movie 2000 – The Power of One


Growing up, many children my age were obsessed with Pokémon. I was very into Power Rangers so I decided to give Pokémon a try. I never watched the television show or any movies, but I played the video games on my Nintendo DS and collected all of the cards. I had every card and I would keep them in a binder which was organized by types and strength. Looking back at it now, I think that my parents spent hundreds of dollars on my Pokémon card obsession. I was that kid who needed every card out there and would not stop till I did. As for the video game, I was obsessed with that as well. I have always been into video games, but this game just took over my life. I would never leave without my DS and would play constantly. As I got older I fell out of Pokémon due to a lot of girls in school making fun of me for it. I vaguely remember girls taking my cards at school when I was trying to trade them with the boys. This pushed me away from Pokémon. When Pokémon Go came out, I never really got into it, I am guessing because I could not drive and it was hard for me to get around and I was also busy with my sport. Now I am happy that I can go back to Pokémon and be in an environment where I can explore what I want. So this is the reason why as a whole that I decided to go back and watch what I missed as a child/young teen.



I decided to dive deeper into the Pokémon genre because I did not watch it as a child. Pokémon is a part of the adventure, comedy, and fantasy genre. The film that I picked is called Pokémon: The Movie 2000 – The Power of One. This movie was released in Japan in 1999 and was directed by Kunihiko Yuyama and written by Takeshi Shudo. This movie is based on Pokémon original anime series. Pokémon originated in Japan in the 1990s and was created by Satoshi Tajiri and Ken Sugimori. They originally called it Pocket Monsters Red and Green(1996). Soon after, Nintendo bought the name and the idea, and it blew up from there. Pokémon has since become the highest-grossing media franchise of all time, with $90 billion in total franchise revenue. The franchise is now managed by The Pokémon Company, which was created by Nintendo. Pokémon is not just a television series and movies, it is much more. There are video games, books, toys, cards, clothes, musicals, soundtracks, and even a theme park. The show originally was directed towards young boys in Japan, but it soon became a worldwide obsession. Now Pokémon attracts every one of all ages. This industry targeted young kids but it grew to attract a wide range of people. The popularity of Pokémon stays constant due to the loyal following that it has.



Pokémon: The Movie 2000 – The Power of One is a film of the adventure. Ash, the main character is forced on an adventure with his friends Misty and Tracey. Ash, Misty, and Tracey are all Pokémon trainers. The film starts with the “bad guy” Lawrence, who is a Pokémon collector. He is trying to capture legendary Pokémon and is successful. Ash, Misty, and Tracey get caught in the middle of Laurence’s plan and they try to stop him and save the Pokémon. With the help of his team, Ash can stop Laurence’s plan to take over and capture the beast. This film is old so the quality is not as good as Pokémon films that are created closer to this day. It was clear when bad and good things were happening. When the film shot Ash and his friends, the colors were bright and happy. When the film shot Laurence, the colors were dark and gloomy. One thing that struck me when watching this film was the soundtrack and the songs. Sixteen songs are on the soundtrack for this movie. Some songs had popular J-pop singers in Japan at the time. The one that stuck out is the one called “The Power of One”. This was the theme song for the movie and opened the movie after the opening scene. Right away this song caught my attention due to the happiness and joy that it brought to this movie.

Compared to the original Pokémon anime series that we have watched in class, this is a branch of the same idea. In class, we watched the first two episodes of Pokémon so ash was a younger boy. In this movie, Ash seems to be a little older and has a good relationship with Pikachu than he did in the series. The characters and the storyline were along with the same idea as Pokémon anime series television show.


Pokémon is a huge industry and there is much to explore throughout the genera. I just scratched the surface on one movie of Pokémon. Pokémon: The Movie 2000 – The Power of One is a good stepping stone into the beginning of getting into anime and Pokémon. I recommend this film to someone who is new to Pokémon and has an interest in it.




Information from the second paragraph:

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon

2. https://www.livemint.com/Sundayapp/Z7zHxltyWtFNzcoXPZAbjI/A-brief-history-of-Pokmon.html

Links for pictures:

1. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPokemon-Cards-Plus-Learn-Instructions%2Fdp%2FB07MH3G3F3&psig=AOvVaw0CQHCUwGVMQK89fLuzHDFj&ust=1606409597040000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJDQmJ2Unu0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAT

2. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsteemit.com%2Fsteemit%2F%40jrfantasma%2Fas-the-pokemon-go-will-change-the-games-industry&psig=AOvVaw0GQfWNb-PUdCFOQqDFghzD&ust=1606409699672000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCMj4ps6Unu0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

3. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPok%25C3%25A9mon%3A_The_Movie_2000&psig=AOvVaw3KFthG82jVHvyQHVjdh4a1&ust=1606409726527000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLDrg9yUnu0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

4. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhYcPWDXbiKs&psig=AOvVaw0ii0GW-K5JPzHbJ9p7Ip6q&ust=1606409747373000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIDL9eWUnu0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma Blossay 1